Sunday 7 September 2014

The Digital Reader

The Digital Reader


Nook Press Misses Payments, Authors Left With No Explanation or Support

Posted: 07 Sep 2014 04:58 PM PDT

nook press no payment
I think B&N forgot step #4

From the “You had one job” dept …

Reports are coming in this weekend that Barnes & Noble’s self-pub platform Nook Press has dropped the ball.  An unknown number of authors are saying that their latest payment from B&N, which was supposed to be deposited in their account in the last week of August, never arrived.

I’m still working to learn the full scope of this issue, which was first reported by Robert Swartwood on Friday on his blog. Noting that he had never had issue with payments from Nook Press being delayed in the past, he writes that:

 … something strange—not to mention worrisome—happened this past month.

No money was deposited into my bank account.

No money was deposited in several other writers' bank accounts, either. I know, because I'm friends with several different writers, and they all confirmed to me they haven't been paid. I've even seen writers on your infrequently-visited NOOK Press message board complain about not being paid.

B&N's payment processing server
B&N’s payment processing server

I’m still working to understand the scope of the issue, but at this time I can add that the non-payment has been confirmed by several authors on B&N’s own Nook Press support forums.

There’s been no official comment from B&N on their own forums, but as early as Tuesday one author noting the lack of payment, with another concurring:

Huh, now that you mention it, they should have arrived by now, shouldn’t they.

What’s more, these authors also confirm Mr Swartwood’s comment that he had contacted Nook Press support and was ignored. According to his blog post, “emails from several different writers have been sent with no reply”. At least one author indicated that she had contacted B&N as early as Wednesday, but reported on Saturday that she’d received no response nor even an acknowledgement of the issue.

Again, we still don’t know the scope of this issue, but the lack of a response from B&N is troubling.

Have you been affected by this issue? Any guesses as to the cause?

The comments are open.

image by brewbooks

The post Nook Press Misses Payments, Authors Left With No Explanation or Support appeared first on The Digital Reader.

Has Anyone Tried ComicsFix’s Digital Comics Subscription Service?

Posted: 07 Sep 2014 07:32 AM PDT

logo3_5[1]A non-new digital comics service crossed my desk this morning (discovered via Absolute Write), and since I had never heard of it (nor could I find much in the way of press coverage) I decided to post an open question and see if anyone was more familiar with it than I.

Launched last fall, ComicsFix does for indie digital comics what Marvel Unlimited does for comic book series from that mega-publisher: it offers an all you can read style service which is available on Android, iPad, and in your web browser.

Update: And now I know why I haven’t heard of it. The service just launched a couple months ago. I thought it had launched last year, but that was just pre-launch coverage.

So have you used ComicsFix? What do you think?

I spent a few minutes with it this morning, and it’s not bad.

ComicsFix costs $10 a month (with a 2 week free trial), and while it doesn’t offer titles from the major publishers like DC and Marvel, it does offer enough indie titles that I might want to read for me to think about keeping my subscription.

comicsfix

I’ve added a dozen titles to my reading list from a variety of genres, and I would have added more except the site doesn’t have a search function. There’s also no way that I can see to list the participating publishers, so if you want to find a specific title you’ll have a little bit of a problem.

There’s also no easy way for me to see my reading list when viewing the website, but I doubt the iPad and Android apps have this issue. (I must be in the minority; I prefer comics in a web browser rather than an app on Android).

In terms of reading, it offers 1:1 zoom, full screen, and zoom to fit modes. It’s supposed to remember the page I’m on, but I can’t actually confirm that due to the difficulties in navigation mentioned above. In general the web app is readable.

I’m still exploring the service, but I wanted to take a few minutes and pass along what could be a useful and cheap way to read comics.

If you try it, let me know what you think of ComicsFix in the comments.

The post Has Anyone Tried ComicsFix’s Digital Comics Subscription Service? appeared first on The Digital Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment